No judgments—this was roughly my process for doing things.
- Open up ‘Paint’ on your computer and mess around with a few images.
- Give up, and realize that you’re not going to find that great idea you have on the internet.
- Go to [insert grocery/department store] and buy an assortment of random objects and art supplies.
- Arrange said objects on a sheet of [insert desired background color] poster board.
- Use your phone to take twenty or so pictures of dubious quality.
- Upload to Paint and add text.
- Realize that it looks like a piece of shit with words.
- Flip off the computer screen.
- Scrap it, and go for a simpler idea.
- Rationalize how great the new idea is.
- Compare to covers on Amazon.
- Flip off the computer screen…again.
- Say ‘[insert your choice of explicative] it’ and hire a cover designer.
Shout out to Nicole, the cover designer for my two books. Find her at covershotcreations.com She has a ton of premade covers, or you can have her do something custom at a reasonable price. My second cover (Right) was a custom cover, and I think she did a great job. She’s ridiculously easy to work with, as well.